The time now is 07/25/14 - 02:44
Log in: Username: Password:
Search forums for:
  
JOIN RunningForums NOW!
FAQ Search    Articles Register Log in

So So Sorry Allison-but at least you are healthy


www.runningforums.com Forum Index -> Riff-Raff Hang Out Goto page 1, 2   Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic
copteacher
Adjunct
Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jun 2002
Posts: 20588
Location: Teaching in the Halls of Justice
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 16:37    Post subject: So So Sorry Allison-but at least you are healthy
The Unhealthiest City In the U.S.A.

The unhealthiest U.S. city in which to live is St. Louis, Missouri, according to Organic Style magazine, which ranked 125 cities based on their "environmental toxicity." This included data on air quality, toxic releases, agricultural pollution, and more.


The top 10 unhealthiest cities:
1. St. Louis, Missouri
2. Chicago, Illinois
3. Detroit, Michigan
4. New York, New York
5. Cleveland, Ohio
6. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
7. Washington, D.C.
8. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
9. Cincinnati, Ohio
10. Indianapolis, Indiana

The top 10 cities worldwide with the best quality of life are...

The top 10 healthiest cities:
1. Santa Fe, New Mexico
2. Rapid City, South Dakota
3. Grand Junction, Colorado
4. Olympia, Washington
5. Fort Myers, Florida
6. Sherman, Texas
7. Cheyenne, Wyoming
8. Flagstaff, Arizona
9. Columbia, Missouri
10. Anchorage, Alaska
AlaninTX
Member
Reply with quote
Joined: 14 May 2002
Posts: 6582
Location: Austin, Texas
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 16:42    Post subject: Re: So So Sorry Allison-but at least you are healthy
rtpd113 wrote:
6. Sherman, Texas


Well, there is alot more to "quality of life" than clean air and water.
purple hayes
Frightened Inmate #2
Reply with quote
Joined: 14 May 2002
Posts: 14461
Location: ON YOUR LEFT!
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 16:45    Post subject: Re: So So Sorry Allison-but at least you are healthy
rtpd113 wrote:
The top 10 cities worldwide with the best quality of life are...

The top 10 healthiest cities:
...list of 10 cities all in the US...


it's a small world after all...
elkid
Member
Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Nov 2002
Posts: 8353
Location: hiding out in Philly
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 16:50    Post subject:
WOO HOO! Go Philly! at least we're not the fattest anymore:

The Fattest City in U.S.
Houston, we still have a weight problem. For the third year in a row, "Men's Fitness" magazine has named Houston the nation's fattest city. The magazine blamed the Houston area's hot and humid climate, "abysmal" air quality, relative lack of outdoor recreation and residents' love of junk food.

The country's fourth-largest city topped a list of 25 cities, followed by Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia and St. Louis. Cheesesteak-loving Philadelphia once held the same title, but started a citywide fitness campaign after the magazine named it the flab capital in 1999.
coachmarkos
my boys could swim
Reply with quote
Joined: 14 May 2002
Posts: 11387
Location: 1st in AFC West
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 16:52    Post subject: Re: So So Sorry Allison-but at least you are healthy
rtpd113 wrote:
The top 10 healthiest cities:

2. Rapid City, South Dakota


Hmmm.... A little slice of heaven on the prarie?

Actually, Rapid is where I am running my marathon in October!
AlaninTX
Member
Reply with quote
Joined: 14 May 2002
Posts: 6582
Location: Austin, Texas
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 16:54    Post subject:
elkid wrote:
WOO HOO! Go Philly! at least we're not the fattest anymore:

The Fattest City in U.S.
Houston, we still have a weight problem. For the third year in a row, "Men's Fitness" magazine has named Houston the nation's fattest city. The magazine blamed the Houston area's hot and humid climate, "abysmal" air quality, relative lack of outdoor recreation and residents' love of junk food.

The country's fourth-largest city topped a list of 25 cities, followed by Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia and St. Louis. Cheesesteak-loving Philadelphia once held the same title, but started a citywide fitness campaign after the magazine named it the flab capital in 1999.



Don't pay this any mind, Shuryl. This is from 'Men's Fitness." The women in Houston, I am sure, fall in another all together different category. Wink
copteacher
Adjunct
Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jun 2002
Posts: 20588
Location: Teaching in the Halls of Justice
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 16:54    Post subject:
I see PA is well represented in the worst Sad
omega lambda
Member
Reply with quote
Joined: 14 May 2002
Posts: 4690
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 16:55    Post subject:
I noticed there are NO cities from California on the unhealthiest list. Razz to all you naysayers of the Golden State! Mr. Green
cherylpf
crazy cat lady
Reply with quote
Joined: 14 May 2002
Posts: 17304
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 16:58    Post subject:
AlaninTX wrote:
rtpd113 wrote:
6. Sherman, Texas


Well, there is alot more to "quality of life" than clean air and water.

AMEN!!! My uncle lives there.... um not so much.

elkid wrote:
WOO HOO! Go Philly! at least we're not the fattest anymore:

The Fattest City in U.S.
Houston, we still have a weight problem. For the third year in a row, "Men's Fitness" magazine has named Houston the nation's fattest city. The magazine blamed the Houston area's hot and humid climate, "abysmal" air quality, relative lack of outdoor recreation and residents' love of junk food.

The country's fourth-largest city topped a list of 25 cities, followed by Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia and St. Louis. Cheesesteak-loving Philadelphia once held the same title, but started a citywide fitness campaign after the magazine named it the flab capital in 1999.

Yeah, that annual article has city council all in a wad. The thing is the factors they use to determine that are things that I believe would have little to no effect on whether or not people are overweight here. Among them: number of gyms listed on yellowpages.com versus restaurants listed on yellowpages.com. Wha? Thats just a form of advertisint. My gym isn't on there. But all the chain restaurants are on there multiple times. The greater the population of the state, the more detrimental your score. How does the fact that Texas is highly populated have anything to do with weight? There were 5 or 6 Texas cities in the top 20 for this. And days with temperatures over 80 and under 20 (I think was the range) counted against you. Proximity to national parks, lakes and mountains were other factors. Things that can never be changed and probably have little effect on the city.
If anyone has the magazine article, feel free to correct any of the above....

That said, I'm not claiming Houston is a bunch of skinny minnie's either, I'm just saying that by their criteria we'll never be anything but #1.

Alan, I don't mind, but its a major news story every year I've lived here.

Shocked hey wait...maybe I do have something to do with this...
kobyj
Member
Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Jul 2002
Posts: 2370
Location: Lake Pine
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 17:00    Post subject: Re: So So Sorry Allison-but at least you are healthy
rtpd113 wrote:
The Unhealthiest City In the U.S.A.

The top 10 unhealthiest cities:
.
.
.
10. Indianapolis, Indiana


I'm glad I don't live anywhere close to Indianapolis. Oh wait. I'm only 40 miles away. Drats.
genie
Master of Prissface
Reply with quote
Joined: 14 May 2002
Posts: 16189
Location: Finding serenity one day at a time
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 17:03    Post subject:
omega lambda wrote:
I noticed there are NO cities from California on the unhealthiest list. Razz to all you naysayers of the Golden State! Mr. Green


Wonder what the number of liposuction clinics is though? Twisted Evil
akern
Member
Reply with quote
Joined: 31 May 2002
Posts: 17149
Location: CTU
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 17:08    Post subject:
I don't actually live in the city of St. Louis. Wink
omega lambda
Member
Reply with quote
Joined: 14 May 2002
Posts: 4690
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 17:16    Post subject:
genie wrote:
omega lambda wrote:
I noticed there are NO cities from California on the unhealthiest list. Razz to all you naysayers of the Golden State! Mr. Green


Wonder what the number of liposuction clinics is though? Twisted Evil


They outnumber Starbucks 2 to 1. In fact, Sandy Cheeks had liposuction for lunch. She's trying to achieve the purple stick look, instead of the purple sausage look. Confused Me, I just go for the lunchtime botox. I hope you all are tuning in to "The OC" on Fox to find out what our lives are really like.
genie
Master of Prissface
Reply with quote
Joined: 14 May 2002
Posts: 16189
Location: Finding serenity one day at a time
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 17:21    Post subject:
omega lambda wrote:
genie wrote:
omega lambda wrote:
I noticed there are NO cities from California on the unhealthiest list. Razz to all you naysayers of the Golden State! Mr. Green


Wonder what the number of liposuction clinics is though? Twisted Evil


They outnumber Starbucks 2 to 1. In fact, Sandy Cheeks had liposuction for lunch. She's trying to achieve the purple stick look, instead of the purple sausage look. Confused Me, I just go for the lunchtime botox. I hope you all are tuning in to "The OC" on Fox to find out what our lives are really like.


LOL LOL Smart woman....botox is quicker and then you can stop at Starbucks on the way back for a frappie! Wink
cherylpf
crazy cat lady
Reply with quote
Joined: 14 May 2002
Posts: 17304
| Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/03 - 17:22    Post subject:
Can someone explain Botox to me? Does it just paralyze the muscles so they don't crease your face and cause wrinkles??

its really popular here too apparently
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2   Next

www.runningforums.com Forum Index -> Riff-Raff Hang Out

Page 1 of 2

Related topics:
HEALTHY RECIPE
Healthy Living-Waste of Time
Steve Cullen Healthy Hearts 8k
How to keep a healthy level of insanity.
Almost Healthy Brownie Recipe
need easy, healthy ideas for lunch..
Do you consider chocolate milk healthy for children?
Healthy Kids Lunch Ideas
Somehow my diet seems much more healthy now
I know it is good to be healthy but...
Is there anything healthy about Juices?
Eat Hufu, The Healthy Human Flesh Alternative
the happy hooker goes healthy
The life of an otherwise healthy child...
I'm all for healthy...
Are swimmers really healthy?
Healthy Snacks for Runners
Healthy AC for this simmer

 




Privacy Policy | Registration terms | Contact us